Phi Upsilon Omicron
Family and Consumer Sciences
Admitted to ACHS: 1979
Founded at University of Minnesota, February 10, 1909
No of Active Chapters: 61
No of Alumni Chapters/Clubs: 28
Total Membership: 96635
Number of Regions: 4
Publications: The Candle, Journal of Phi Upsilon Omicron (semiannually) and the Communique, newsletter for National Council and Educational Foundation members (monthly).
PURPOSE: The purposes of Phi Upsilon Omicron are to: 1. Recognize and promote academic excellence; 2. Enhance qualities of leadership by providing opportunities for service; and 3. Encourage lifelong learning and commitment to advance family and consumer sciences and related areas.
ELIGIBILITY: Membership in Phi Upsilon Omicron is open to undergraduate students who have
- completed a minimum of 36 semester hours, 50 quarter hours, or the equivalent. The hours must include 6 hours of course work in areas including, but not limited to, those recognized by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- a major in family and consumer sciences or one of its specialized areas in an institution where a chapter is established.
- Students must rank not lower than the highest 35% of their class in general scholarship within their unit.
- exhibits the potential for professional and community leadership;
- demonstrates a spirit of service; and,
- exemplifies character through personal integrity and professional attitude.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES: Leadership:
Local collegiate and alumni chapters provide opportunities for leadership development and policy formation. Conclave (held biennially) also provides opportunities for leadership development and service.
Service: Each chapter plans and implements a local professional service project. The outstanding professional projects are recognized at Conclave. A National Service Project is also a component of Conclave.
Scholarship: The Educational Foundation, supported by collegiate and alumni members, annually presents 31 scholarships and 7 awards to undergraduates, 8 graduate fellowships, and 2 advisor awards. One outstanding alumni awards, an alumni research grant, a conclave undergraduate award and another advisor award are awarded biennially.